Daniel and I started fostering dogs through a local foster agency in November. We did it to save the many adorable stray dogs that end up in shelters. I thought we would foster several dogs before settling down with one but then Vixen came into our lives unexpectedly. She is such a great dog; she loves to go in walks, she can be left alone at home and she doesn’t ask too much of us. It’s not that we neglect her but we just needed a dog that could be independent. All in all, she is wonderful and I have become that dog mom that likes to spoil their dog. I don’t buy her lots if things but I like to feed her organic/home made goods. Since it was a rainy day, I stayed indoors and wanted to bake. I wasn’t in the mood to make something for myself so I thought it would be a neat to make my own dog treats. I found an easy recipe from Curbly. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make. Here’s the recipe:
Ingredients (to make about 8 treats):
– 4 ounce jar of organic baby food (any flavor you’d like. I think dogs like orange flavored veggies like butternut squash and carrots) make sure that it doesn’t have ingredients that are deadly to dogs!
– One cup of 100% whole wheat flour
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
– Mix both ingredients together in one bowl. Add about one tablespoon of water if you need moisture to gather more flour if some of it doesn’t stick.
– Flour your counter and roll the dough out to a 1/4 inch thickness.
– Grab your favorite cookie cutter (I just happen to have a bone-shaped one – really, I’m not crazy enough to buy it just for this project!) and cut away.
– Place the treats on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
That’s it! Let the treats cool and then serve it to your dog. You can save the treats in an airtight container and give one to your dog once a day. Did I mention that this entire recipe only costs you about $1.50 (buy the flour whole sale). That’s a steal!